Hair Fall / Hair Loss Treatment
Hair Fall and Hair Loss can occur in men and women and can be the result of numerous factors including heredity, hormonal changes, medical conditions or medications. Baldness refers to excessive hair loss from the scalp.
Hair Fall or Hair Loss Symptoms
Hair loss can appear suddenly or gradually and affect only the scalp or whole body depending on the cause of hair loss.
- Gradual thinning on top of head: Affecting both men and women, this is the most common type of hair loss with hair begins to recede from the forehead.
- Circular or patchy bald spots: This type of hair loss usually affects just the scalp with smooth, coin-sized bald spots. Sometimes occurs in beards or eyebrows.
- Sudden loosening of hair: A physical or emotional shock can cause hair to loosen and usually causes overall hair thinning.
- Full-body hair loss: Some medical conditions and treatments including chemotherapy for Cancer result in the loss of hair all over the body.
- Patches of scaling that spread over the scalp: This is a sign of the presence of ringworm and is accompanied by broken hair, redness and swelling.
Hair Fall or Hair Loss Causes
Hair loss occurs when the cycle of hair growth and shedding is interrupted. Damage to hair follicle and presence of scar tissue can also lead to hair loss. Following are some of the factors that lead to hair loss:
- Family history: Heredity affects the age at which hair fall begins, the rate of hair loss and the extent of baldness. Pattern baldness is most common in men and can begin as early as puberty.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes and imbalances associated with pregnancy, childbirth or the onset of menopause, Thyroid Gland Problems can cause hair loss.
- Medical conditions: When the body's immune system attacks hair follicles can cause sudden hair loss. Other medical conditions include infection in the scalp and hair pulling disorder.
- Medications: certain medication can cause hair loss and these include medication used for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, high blood pressure and birth control. Radiation therapy, certain hairstyles and treatments can cause inflammation of hair follicles that leads to hair loss.
Hair Fall or Hair Loss Diagnosis
The doctor conducts a physical exam and records the medical and family history. Blood tests, pull tests, scalp biopsy are performed to understand the cause for hair loss.
Hair Fall or Hair Loss Treatment
Treatment approach depends on the cause of hair fall and most types of hair loss can be treated effectively while some hair loss is permanent. Treatments for hair loss include:
- Medication: If the cause of hair loss is an underlying disease then that particular condition is treated. This includes drugs to reduce inflammation and suppress the immune system. Medications are available to treat pattern baldness for hair re-growth, and a slower rate of hair loss.
- Surgery: Hair transplant or restoration surgery is available for permanent hair loss. During the procedure, the surgeon removes tiny plugs of skin with a few hairs from the back or sides of the scalp and implants the plugs into the bald sections of the scalp.
- Laser therapy: during this method of treatment, laser beams are targeted to the bald spot to stimulate the hair follicles to grow new hair.
At Jacob Hospital, Kochi we provide treatment services for hair loss and all types of disorders with the best and latest treatment techniques from well qualified and experienced specialists to restore and revive skin condition. To know more about treatment for hair loss and treatment cost, Book an Appointment now.
Thank you... We will contact you Soon...
Sorry ... Please Try Again
Newsletters & Subscription